This healthy Breakfast Rice with Bacon is a delicious and filling make ahead breakfast recipe! It’s a great camping recipe, meal prep recipe, and it’s family friendly!
Who doesn’t love bacon?! I love that this healthy bacon fried rice packs in the flavor of bacon and chicken sausage along with the fresh veggies and brown rice. This is a recipe that we eat anytime of day.
If you’re on the 21 Day Fix or the 80 Day Obsession, this recipe is extra awesome because the entire family can enjoy it and nobody will know it’s healthy! Everyone will devour this brown rice breakfast fried rice without knowing they’re getting a lightened up version that hides some vegetables as well.
Why is this a healthy Breakfast Rice?
Unlike other breakfast fried rice recipes, this is made with naturally gluten free brown rice, turkey bacon (it’s a great way to get the taste of bacon without all the bacon grease), and the sesame oil that’s usually in fried rice is left out.
Cooking this in a cast iron skillet is easy and quick. If you prefer to use a wok I think that would work just as (well if not better). This recipe comes together in just a few minutes, so it’s perfect for those nights when you don’t know what to cook. That’s right–rice for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
If you are not on the 21 Day Fix here’s a link to the program so you can check it out. It’s a great way to jumpstart your healthy lifestyle goals.
Why does the recipe say to make the rice ahead of time?
If the rice sits overnight it’s not quite as sticky. I love using this Instant Pot brown rice recipe to cook mine in big batches and then freeze, so I always have cooked rice for this recipe.
If you don’t have any leftover rice, that is absolutely ok–it’ll still be delicious!
What is Tamari?
Tamari is similar to soy sauce, but it’s Japanese (soy sauce is a Chinese condiment). It’s usually thicker, less salty, and contains less wheat. Once I tried tamari, I switched immediately to using that exclusively and have never purchased soy sauce again.
I feel that tamari has a much better flavor than soy sauce. It’s more expensive, for sure, but worth it to me.
Ingredients in this healthy breakfast rice with bacon:
- Green onion
- Tamari, or Soy sauce
- Red onion
- Dry mustard
- Coconut crystals (optional)
- Bell peppers
- Peas and carrots
- Turkey bacon
- Brown rice
Directions for Breakfast Rice:
How do I store breakfast rice?
How do I serve breakfast rice?
We eat it by itself most of the time, but I also love it in breakfast tacos and burritos! When eating it by itself I usually add extra eggs.
21 Day Fix Breakfast Rice Information
80 Day Obsession Information
Looking for more healthy breakfast recipes?
- Sausage and Zucchini Casserole This is a delicious and easy casserole that is awesome for meal prep because it keeps so well in the fridge!
- Healthy Rice Pudding I love how easy this recipe is, but also how filling and comforting it is! It’s a great dessert, too.
- Starbucks Copycat Egg White Bites These are fun to customize with your favorite toppings!
Healthy Breakfast Fried Rice
Ingredients for Breakfast Fried Rice:
- 1/2 cup green onion diced
- 1/4 cup Tamari or soy sauce
- 1/2 cup red onion diced
- 1/4 tsp dry mustard
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- 1 tbsp coconut crystals optional
- 2 cups bell pepper diced
- 1 cup peas & carrots frozen
- 3/4 cups ham diced, fat free if you're on the 21 Day Fix
- 4 eggs scrambled
- 3/4 cups link sausage diced, I use all natural chicken sausage
- 8 slices turkey bacon cooked and broken into bite-sized pieces
- 2 1/2 cups brown rice cook the day before and store in refrigerator for best results
Directions for Breakfast Fried Rice:
- Mix Tamari with coconut crystals and mustard Set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp coconut oil in a large skillet or wok.
- Add onions, garlic, bell pepper, ham and sausage (add any additional items at this time also).
- Sauté 1-2 minutes.
- Add bacon, peas and carrots and rice.
- Pour Tamari mixture over rice and stir gently to combine
- Gently stir in cooked eggs. Cook until heated through.