After a hard workout, I like to make sure I fuel back up with some protein. The best recipe I’ve found that adds a quick protein pick me up are these black bean brownie protein bites.Yes, black beans! Beans are a great source of muscle-building protein and these brownie protein bites are the most delicious and easy way to make sure I have a protein-rich snack ready after a workout.
This recipe contains no added sugar or flour.
Ingredients for Black Bean Brownie Protein Bites
1 15 oz can of black beans (rinsed and drained well)
2T cocoa powder
1/2C gluten-free oats
1/4C coconut oil
1t almond extract
1/2t baking powder
1 bag dark chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350
2. Rinse and drain the black beans.
3. Blend beans in a food processor until VERY smooth. Add in the rest of your ingredients except for the chocolate chips.
4. Blend until smooth. Stir in chocolate chips.
5. Pour batter into an 8×8 pan that has been sprayed with olive oil.
6. Bake at 350 for 25 to 30 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean (not counting melted chocolate).
7. Cool then refrigerate, and cut in 2×2 pieces. These brownies are best served chilled.
Makes 16 2×2 bites.
Why put black beans in brownies?
Beans are a slow-digesting carb, which provides energy during your post-workout slump. They’re also full of plant-based protein to help you repair and build muscles, and high in fiber to help with feeling full longer and maintaining a healthy weight. S&W is my favorite brand (so this was a natural partnership for me), and I love the emphasis they put on quality. They check their beans every 30 minutes for moisture and consistency.
Black Bean Brownie Protein Bites
- 1 15 oz can of S&W Black Beans rinsed and drained well
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- ½ cup gluten-free oats
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup honey
- 1 teaspoon Stevia
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 bag dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350
- Rinse and drain the black beans.
- Blend beans in a food processor until VERY smooth. Add in the rest of your ingredients except for the chocolate chips.
- Blend until smooth. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into an 8x8 pan that has been sprayed with olive oil.
- Bake at 350 for 25 to 30 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean (not counting melted chocolate).
- Cool then refrigerate, and cut in 2x2 pieces. These brownies are best served chilled.
*nutrition calculations are approximate