For many people, morning coffee is LIFE! Black coffee is best for our health, but not the most appealing flavor to most drinkers. Flavored store bought coffee creamers are full of sugar, artificial sweeteners, and trans fats. This is an easy and healthy dairy free coffee creamer that will change the way you drink coffee!
Almond milk, oat milk, and soy creamers, while lactose free and plant based, are still lacking in nutrition and flavor. I’ve been on a mission to to create a plant based coffee creamer that had all the flavor of store bought, but with clean ingredients. I think this Vanilla Vegan Creamer fits the bill.
Where is the recipe?
Here at My Crazy Good Life, we like to make our recipes easy for everyone to follow. In the article below you’ll find lots of information including recipe tips and ingredient substitutions. If you’d like to skip past that and jump to the recipe, simply scroll to the bottom of the page where you’ll find the easy to print Vegan Coffee Creamer recipe.
Why is this a healthy coffee creamer?
For those looking to reduce the amount of processed food in their diet, this homemade coffee creamer is a great (and easy!) option. While there are delicious healthier options on the store shelves today, like Califia farms brand, there’s really nothing like homemade.
Traditional coffee creamers (like Coffee Mate) are highly processed and contain ingredients like added sugar or artificial sweeteners that don’t align with common weight loss goals, or with a minimally processed or whole foods diet.
While most store bought coffee creamers are perfect for those who are lactose intolerant, it’s not quite enough for me unless it’s a filly vegan recipe.
Can’t I just use fat free creamer?
Well, it depends! I choose to not purchase fat free products for a few reasons–first, they often have artificial sweeteners or sugar in them. Also, they often contain a combination of carbohydrates that are being used to mimic the “feel” of fat in them.
Ingredients in this dairy free creamer:
- Coconut Milk: You want to grab the canned coconut milk. Be sure it is unsweetened and full fat. Using another non-dairy milk instead of the canned coconut milk will result in thinner more “watered down” creamer.
- Almond Milk: I like to use unsweetened vanilla in this recipe, but plain works just as well. You could also use another non-dairy milk of your choice.
- Coconut Crystals: Also called coconut palm sugar or coconut sugar. Studies show that coconut sugar has a lower glycemic index than cane sugar, which means it causes a slightly lower rise in blood sugar. I’ve found that this is a 1:1 swap for brown sugar so if you can’t find coconut sugar, brown sugar will give you the same result (but with different nutritional values).
- Vanilla Extract: Be sure and pick up pure vanilla extract, not bakers vanilla or imitation vanilla. You could also use almond extract or another flavor if you’d like–experiment and have fun with this!
How to make Homemade Coffee Creamer:
This recipe should take about 10 minutes to mix ingredients and heat, and about an hour in the fridge to chill. Of course, you can use right while it’s still warm!
- Add coconut milk, almond milk, coconut crystals, and vanilla to a small sauce pan.
- Whisk ingredients together over low heat until the crystals melt and incorporate completely.
- Turn off the burner and remove the pan from the heat. Allow your creamer to cool naturally for 20 minutes, then transfer it to an air tight glass jar or bottle and refrigerating.
- This keeps in the fridge for 5-7 days. You can also freeze it.
- This works great in iced coffee as well. I like to make ice cubes out of the creamer, and then pour brewed ice coffee or cold brew over them.
- There are ideas for ingredient substitutions above next to the Ingredients.
- Definitely add flavors that appeal to you and experiment with this recipe! Your base recipe is coconut milk, almond milk, and coconut sugar. You’re welcome to swap the vanilla out for other flavors that you like.
Healthy Eating Plans:
This is a perfect 21 Day Fix, 2B Mindset or Weight Watchers coffee creamer. The recipe makes 17 servings that are about 2 tablespoons each.
Weight Watchers: 3 Blue Plan Points | 3 Green Plan Points | 3 Purple Plan Points
21 Day Fix/Ultimate Portion Fix: For the entire recipe: 5 Blue Containers, 1/3 Teaspoon. Per 2 Tablespoon Serving: 1/2 Blue Container and trace teaspoons (I do not count them).
2B Mindset: This would be an “Accessory” on 2B Mindset.
These healthy breakfast recipes go great with coffee:
Homemade Vanilla Dairy Free Coffee Creamer Recipe
- 1 can coconut milk full fat, unsweetened
- 3 tbsp almond milk unsweetened
- 2 tbsp coconut crystals also called coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- Add coconut milk, almond milk, coconut crystals, and vanilla extract to a small saucepan. Whisk to combine.
- Heat on low, stirring continuously until crystals incorporate with the rest of the ingredients.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool for 20 minutes before storing in the fridge.
- Keep in fridge for 5-7 days, or freeze.