This site contains affiliate links. Please see Policies for more information.
It can be tough trying to figure out how to remove odor from Instant Pot sealing rings. Here are some tips on how to remove the smell from sealing rings.
I’ll also give you some tips on how to remove odor from Instant Pot lids and basins as well.
If you are like me, you might have noticed that once you cook something in the Instant Pot that is rather pungent (in a good OR bad way) it kind of hangs around.
I haven’t had anything end up tasting like the smell but it’s not fun to think about when you are switching between savory, sweet, and neutral flavor profiles. This happens most often with a brand new pot.
Owning an Instant pot is definitely a game changer in the kitchen. It saves me all kinds of time and energy and I get to spend those precious moments doing other stuff, you can too!
What are some ways to remove odors from the Instant Pot?
Can I Steam Clean the Instant Pot?
You can steam clean your Instant Pot with some cut up lemons and 2 cups of water.
Run for 2 minutes on the “steam” setting with the sealing ring intact, and tis will help you remove odors from the Instant Pot and the sealing ring all at once.
You will want to leave the steam release naturally and then let the sealing ring air dry afterwards.
Is there a way to fully disassemble and deep clean the Instant Pot?
This is a little more in depth process for cleaning your Instant Pot and removing odors from Instant Pot parts.
1. Always start with an unplugged Instant Pot.
2. Take the inner pot and the lid apart and clean those first. You can use a cotton or microfiber cloth, some dish soap and vinegar to clean, disinfect, and polish up the Instant Pot surfaces.
3. Make sure you also clean the exterior of your Instant Pot while you are working your way through this process. The housing will need cleaning but can NOT be submerged in water.
4. To deep clean the lid and remove odor from Instant Pot parts you will need to remove the steam release handle, the anti block shield, and then remove any dirt or particles that might be in the steam valve.
Note: Do not remove the steam valve itself, just make sure it’s clean and sanitized. Reassemble the lid components and we will move on!
5. Cleaning the float valve and the silicone ring that anchored the float valve. They can both be replaced once you are done with the cleaning process.
6. Next up you will need to remove the sealing ring, make sure it’s in good condition and doesn’t need replacing.
You can soak in vinegar to remove odors after you steam clean it. The sealing ring can also go through a cycle in the dishwasher to help remove debris, smells, and lingering food bacterial!
7. You will want to give the inner pot, steam rack, and any other accessories a good scrubbing.
You can use vinegar to help refresh and shine the inner pot. Don’t use anything metallic for scouring because it can damage the finish!
These items can also be soaked in vinegar and run through the dishwasher if there is a big time odor issue or if you just want to be extra thorough!
What are some ways to remove the smell from sealing rings?
Can I steam clean the sealing rings?
One of the easiest ways to remove the smell from sealing rings in the Instant Pot is to place it inside the Instant Pot, add 1 tablespoon of baking soda, some lemon rinds, and two cups of water. Run on a “steam” cycle for 2 minutes and then let the sealing ring air dry.
Some have seen great results by cooking potatoes or pasta, as well. I think those “carby” foods absorb some of the smell.
Should I just replace the sealing rings?
If you encounter a smell that is just entirely stuck on there you might want to replace the sealing rings.
Of course, we want to figure out how to remove the smell from sealing rings but as the Instant Pot becomes a more and more popular device in the kitchen the sealing rings and other accessories are getting cheaper!
This three pack is only $10 and if you follow the advice below you shouldn’t have to replace them very often.
What is the benefit of having multiple sealing rings for my Instant Pot?
I use my Instant Pot for all sorts of recipes. Everything from ribs to cupcakes, and those two things do not mix!
I don’t want cupcakes that smell or tastes like ribs and vice versa. An easy way to avoid the odd smells and mixing of flavors is to follow the steam cleaning process and keep one on hand for each flavor profile that you use regularly.
You can get a three pack of Instant Pot sealing rings on Amazon. Assign each a color for sweet, savory, and neutral items like sanitizing, hard boiling eggs, pasta, etc.
Looking for more great Instant Pot tips?
- Instant Pot Accessories Under $50
- How to Convert Instant Pot Recipes to Crockpot Cook Times
- 5 Reasons Why Your Instant Pot Isn’t Sealing
- Which Instant Pot Is Right For You?
- Instant Pot High Altitude Cooking Time Adjustments