This site contains affiliate links. Please see Policies for more information.
These portobello mushroom fajitas are one of my favorite recipes! This veggie fajitas recipe with homemade fajita seasoning is family friendly and vegetarian. Portobello fajitas are filling and their texture is thick and satisfying–like chicken. Mushroom fajitas are a perfect Meatless Monday recipe!
My family loves this recipe, it’s one of my favorites that I make when we’re craving Mexican food. Leave a comment below and tell me what your family and friends think of this delicious recipe!
Ingredients in Portobello Mushroom Fajitas:
- Portobello mushrooms A nutrient dense vegetable–you can learn more about portobello mushrooms here about this antioxidant rich, anti-inflammatory vegetable.
- Bell peppers (any color) Considered a nightshade vegetable, bell peppers can be eaten raw or cooked. They’re super high in vitamin C and other antioxidants.
- Zucchini is a type of squash that contains calcium, iron, and antioxidants.
- Onions contain a high amount of Vitamin C and B, as well as potassium.
- Veggie fajita seasoning (for the mushrooms–make sure to use the smoked paprika!)
- Vegetable seasoning (for the other vegetables–see below for the recipe)
- Corn tortillas, or flour tortillas–whichever you prefer.
- Spray oil (I use olive oil or avocado oil)
Homemade Vegetable Seasoning:
- 2 tbsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tsp coriander
- 2 tsp dry mustard
- 2 tsp dill
- 2 tsp rosemary
- 1 tsp red pepper
Adding in a little chipotle powder will give this recipe a slightly smoked taste–try it!
When slicing vegetables, make sure they’re all the same thickness. This will ensure they’re done cooking at the same time. If you prefer certain veggies less cooked and more crisp, slice those thicker.
How to make Portobello Fajitas
- Slice portobello mushrooms and spray slices with oil. Sprinkle fajita seasoning on them.
- Slice zucchini, peppers, and onions.
- Place a small drizzle of oil (maybe 1 tablespoon?) and about 1T of veggie seasoning in with veggies. Toss them together.
- Grill at 350º for 15-20 minutes or until cooked to your liking. I prefer mine a bit undercooked, so they’re crunchy!
- Serve with corn or flour tortillas, on top of zoodles, or on a salad! Watch the video for my tips about making warm tortillas!
If cooking these fajitas on the stovetop, I’d cook over medium-high heat for 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are cooked to your liking.
How to serve Portobello Mushroom Fajitas
Serve these fajitas with corn or flour tortillas, on top of a salad, with zucchini noodles, or even add some black beans for extra protein and serve as a “bowl.” If I wanted to add more veggies to it, I’d heat up some cauliflower and serve these fajitas on a bed of warm cauliflower.
Add greek yogurt, sour cream, cottage cheese, cilantro, salsa, or squeezed lime juice as garnish.
More Healthy Vegetarian Recipes
- Easy Breakfast Tacos
- Cauliflower Steaks with Chimichurri
- Baked Blooming Onion
- Buffalo Cauliflower Bites
More Mexican Food Recipes
- Carne Asada (plus a ton of delicious recipes for leftovers!)
- Southwest Egg Roll in a Bowl
- Chorizo and Eggs
Want free weekly recipes in your inbox?
Healthy Eating Plans
21 Day Fix: One serving of this recipe is two green containers and one yellow container. You could also just fill your green container up with veggies if you’d like!
Weight Watchers: The veggies are zero points on the 2023 plan. If you’d like to add corn tortillas, add 2 points for 2 reduced fat tortillas.
2B Mindset: Without the tortilla, this is a perfect 75% dinner recipe, just add some edamame or other protein as a side dish. With tortillas, this is a great lunch recipe for 2B, just add 25% protein (edamame, tofu, tempeh) and you’re set!
Portobello Mushroom Fajitas
- 2 portobello mushrooms thick slices
- 1 cup onion sliced
- 1 cup zucchini sliced
- 1 cup green bell pepper sliced
- 1 cup red bell pepper sliced
- 1 cup orange bell pepper sliced
- 1 cup yellow bell pepper sliced
- 8 corn tortillas or flour
- Slice portobello mushrooms into thick slices and spray with oil. 2 portobello mushrooms
- Sprinkle homemade fajita seasoning on them.
- Slice the onions, zucchini, and peppers. Add about 1 tbsp of oil and toss with about 1 tbsp of vegetable seasoning. 1 cup onion, 1 cup zucchini, 1 cup green bell pepper, 1 cup red bell pepper, 1 cup orange bell pepper, 1 cup yellow bell pepper
- Grill at 350º or cook on stovetop for about 15 minutes, or until vegetables are cooked to your liking.
- Serve with corn or flour tortillas, on top of zoodles, or on a salad. 8 corn tortillas