This site contains affiliate links. Please see Policies for more information.
This post is sponsored by Find Your Influence
In my book, using brand to blogger networks is one of the suggestions I give to bloggers who want to earn money or products. It’s a great way to be discovered by your favorite brands and begin creating your community. One of the brand to blogger networks I work with is Find Your Influence.
A lot of bloggers think they’re not big enough to join these networks, but that’s not true! Depending on the campaign, brands look for many different things. Sometimes they want bloggers with bigger numbers and a larger community. Sometimes they want bloggers with smaller and more targeted communities. I say that it’s always worth applying to brand to blogger networks because you never know what they’re looking for!
I’m advocating that everyone apply, but know that there are a few basic things you should have covered before you do. Here are 5 things you should do before making money with a blog.
1. Install share buttons on your blog. I use Shareaholic, and I know a lot of bloggers who like Flare. Truthfully, it doesn’t really matter which you choose–but choose one. Brands want to see that your readers can easily share the message they’re paying you to write. Also, it’s a good way for brands to quickly see how much your content is shared–whether it’s because they’re thinking about approaching you or because they paid for a post on your blog. Blogger/Blogspot users: Here’s a way for you to share.
2. Move your contact info to the top. Your social media buttons and email address should be easily found. As you can see, my social media icons are at the top of my sidebar and there are links to my About and Contact pages right under my picture. Under my Contact page, there is a place for both readers and PR contacts to grab my email address. If a PR contact can’t easily find your information, they’re going to head on to the next blogger on their list.
3. Check your mobile site. Most people read blogs from their mobile device. While you don’t need to invest in a pricey mobile theme, you should make sure that your content is easily visible on mobile. A lot of bloggers use WPtouch to make their site mobile-friendly (also called mobile responsive). Don’t just install something to make your site mobile-friendly–go visit your blog from a mobile device. Blogger/Blogspot users: Here is a list of mobile responsive themes.
4. Write about products that you love, even if you’re not being compensated to mention them. Tell the world how much you love that new diaper bag you just bought. Next year when they come out with their new line, pitch them and ask to review a bag. Don’t forget to send along a link to the review you did for them last year! This also works with competing brands.
Dear large headphone manufacturer,
I’d love to review your new headphones. You can see an example of my tech reviews here: (link from the other headphone review you did last month).
This still works if you’re only wanting to write sponsored posts (for money instead of product). Write a great informational post about something you love–a hotel you stayed at, an event you went to, a product you purchased–and share the link down the line. What’s the difference between a sponsored post and a review? Here’s a great article explaining it.
If you need examples of pitch letters, you can find several of them in the back of my book.
5. Watch your tongue. Brands get the final say about who they’re working with–even when they’re using a brand to blogger network. If a brand representative heads to Twitter and sees you bad-mouthing a company you just worked with or throwing a hashtag fit over poor customer service, you can bet they’ll cross your name off their list of potential candidates. You may not be a famous public figure, but as a blogger you’re definitely a public figure.
Want to be involved with Find Your Influence? Sign up now!
Did you love this recipe?
Make sure to comment below so we can chat about it! Or follow on your favorite social network for even more family recipes.
After reading your first point I went and installed Shareaholic straight away and I literally just finished doing a happy dance. I have been looking for a plug in just like this and even better – it has a ‘you may also like’ feature!! Amazing! Thank you so much.
This is great information. As a new blogger I need all the help I can get. I’m so overwhelmed with information that I often don’t know which advice I should take. Thanks again.
Hi Becca- What a fabulous post. I’m a new blogger and am always looking for great tips, all five of yours were so helpful. Thanks for taking the time to help others reach their goals!
Hi, I’m looking for bloggers for a new family friendly social media site. Bloggers make a backstage account and add links to their recent blog posts. Here is an invite link for you to make an account and try it out https://www.gosquishy.com/i/ca5rc4bs/b
If you like it I’d really love to interview you for it!
No.4 was amazing, I’ll never think about how to write sponsored posts it’s powerfull!
Good tips, thanks a lot! :)
Well, I love the number 4! Some of us don’t know bout that, cool!
Great post! The advice is great! Will definitely be using it. Thanks so much for sharing!
Olivia @ http://www.silverspiralstudio.com
I’ve just started my blog and have been looking for ways to plan it out so that it will eventually produce results for me. I’ve found tons of articles on this via Pinterest and I can honestly say this has been the most helpful post I’ve found! Thanks so much! xx
There are some great ideas here! Especially #4… Something to put some thought into.
Thank you for sharing.
These are great tips thank you! I’m jsut starting out with my own blog and I can’t wait to use these.
I’m starting to get very serious with making money online, and this really helps. Thank you!
I recently decided to go on a hunt for great articles, I will be adding this to my pinterest board. Thank you
Hi, I’m a new upcoming new blogger. I am a lifestyle and beauty blogger. My blog is called liliangurgel.weebly.com please email me at email@example.com
I would like to be more friends with people with the same blogging theme as me.
thanks again mwah, Lilian Gurgel.
These are great tips- and at the perfect time for me! Now to try and utilize them….. ;)
Great tips!!!! I especially love the one on the list of brands. Funny because in my blog notebook I have my list of favorite brands and highlighted the ones I would love to work with in the near future.
I really liked your post, these are all great tips, and I like the templates I am ready to change mine to professional looking, thank you for the share.
These tips are really good, thank you!
Lots of tips, thnx. im a dutch entrepreneur and also want to start a blog. Don’t you think visitors will click away your site when you have so many ads? What is the best balance?
Thanks for stopping by, Johan!
At this point in my blogging career, my ads pay my mortgage and make it so I can concentrate on providing quality content. I know that the majority of my readers will return for the content after they click away, and I also know that I’ll lose some to them. I’ve played with the balance for a while and it seems to be good right now. :)
Well I am using add this for my blog and not Shareaholic. As I love floating social share button that can help you increase your post shares.
Hi! thanks for sharing your knowledge. I really liked this post. I started my blog yesterday. take a look and tell me your ideas ^_^