Sometimes you just need finger food–something easy to serve and quick to make. These Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Chicken Drumsticks are sooooo delicious–you’re going to love them.
Why should I make drumsticks in the Instant Pot?
Using the Instant Pot makes this recipe super moist and juicy. The browning in the oven is the perfect finishing step. Instant Pot drumsticks are definitely an easy recipe for anyone! The cilantro lime sauce is just the delicious bonus to these tasty drumsticks.
Does this Instant Pot chicken recipe make a good appetizer?
Whether you’re making these chicken drumsticks for Happy Hour or dinner, you’re going to love how easy they are to make. I love making a batch of these to bring to a barbecue so I know I have something healthy and 21 Day Fix-approved to eat. I also know that others will be raving about how delicious they are all night. The cilantro lime marinade really steals the show here, it’s so fresh and vibrant, it goes well with anything!
Can I make other kinds of chicken with this recipe?
You can make almost any cilantro lime chicken out of this basic recipe. You can marinate the chicken chicken in the cilantro lime sauce for cooking chicken in the slow cooker or on the grill. You can add this sauce to Instant Pot chicken breasts, and you could even use this as a wing sauce. Since I’m on the 21 Day Fix program I usually stick to healthier and leaner cuts of chicken but these drumsticks are a nice (and seemingly indulgent) way to enjoy my favorite cilantro lime flavors!
If you make this a cilantro lime chicken recipe for breasts, try shredded them over salads or in burritos. It adds such a great and unique flavor. One of my favorites for the spring and summer months.
What do I need to make Instant Pot cilantro lime chicken drumsticks?
This recipe is really easy. I mean it! To make the cilantro lime chicken drumsticks you’ll need the following ingredients. Exact amounts and instructions can be found in the recipe card at the bottom of the post!
- olive oil
- minced garlic
- crushed red peppers
- cayenne pepper
- chopped cilantro
- chicken broth
How to make cilantro lime Instant Pot drumsticks:
1) Add the olive oil to the Instant Pot and turn to saute. When the oil is hot, add the chicken drumsticks. Sprinkle the seasoning over the drumsticks. Use tongs to stir the drumsticks and brown for 2 minutes on each side.
2) Add the lime juice, cilantro, and chicken stock to the Instant Pot. Lock the lid into place and turn the pressure valve to sealing. Cook on high pressure for 9 minutes. When done let release the pressure naturally. You’ll want to do the natural pressure release to make sure the chicken is as tender and juicy as possible! Quick release is not your friend when cooking chicken! I have a guide for cooking with the Instant Pot at different altitudes you can check out for more info if your cooking times just don’t seem quite right.
3) Transfer the drumstick to a baking sheet and broil until golden brown for about 3-5 minutes. Sprinkle with more cilantro and serve while warm.
Can I make these cilantro lime chicken drumsticks in the oven from start to finish?
If you’d prefer to just baked these drumsticks you can do that! Here’s how I would do it:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Grease 9×13 pan, depending on how many drumsticks you’re cooking.
- Bake for 30 minutes, then turn drumsticks. Bake for 30 minutes more until internal temperature is 165.
Are these cilantro lime chicken drumsticks 21 Day Fix approved?
Yes. If you are following 21 Day Fix, Ultimate Portion Fix, or any other container based Beachbody program you’ll want to know how to count these delicious drumsticks. I found these a 1 red and 1 tsp for a serving of 2 drumsticks! The recipe I’m sharing with you today makes 3 servings.
Can I modify this recipe for Trim Healthy Mama?
This recipe is great for Trim Healthy Mama. You don’t have to make too many alterations to these cilantro lime chicken drumsticks in order to enjoy them on Trim Healthy Mama. You will need to use MCT oil or Coconut Oil in place of the olive oil and you could use a drop of Lime Essential Oil in place of the lime juice! In that case these cilantro lime drumsticks would be an S recipe.
Is this a good meal prep recipe?
I think you can meal prep just about anything ;) after a couple days in the fridge these will use their crispness. Also, these are really delicious Instant Pot chicken drumsticks so they don’t last too long in our house. If I make a batch of these we’re usually eating them up at dinner time.
The next day for lunch I think they’d be great as leftovers too…if I would make extra ones!
I don’t like spicy recipes should I leave out the pepper and pepper flakes?
I would leave them out if you are very sensitive to spicy foods. I don’t think they make the recipe overly spicy but you might not like those two elements in the mix if you have an aversion to spicy foods! You could always try reducing the amounts so you get the flavor without too much heat!
Do you have any other delicious chicken recipes I can try?
Love this recipe? You might love these 21 Day Fix Approved Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Bites!
I also have some other great chicken recipes that I love to share. These are delicious recipes, the kind of recipes you turn to when you can’t eat one more plain grille chicken breast ;)
- Chicken Gyro Bowl with Homemade Tzatziki
- Healthy Dill Pickle Chicken Salad
- Healthy Crack Chicken Recipe | Instant Pot Crack Chicken
- Healthy Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Caprese Chicken Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
- Weight Watchers Orange Chicken
Printable Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Chicken Drumsticks Recipe:
Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Drumsticks
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 6 drumsticks
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tsp. crushed red peppers
- 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. salt
- Juice from 1 lime
- 2 tbsp. chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- Add the olive oil to the Instant Pot and turn to sautÈ. When the oil is hot add the drumsticks. Sprinkle the seasoning over the drumsticks. Use tongs to stir the drumsticks and brown on each side for 2 minutes.
- Add the lime juice, cilantro, and chicken broth to the Instant Pot. Lock the lid into place and turn the pressure valve to sealing. Cook on high pressure for 9 minutes. When done let the pressure release naturally.
- Transfer the drumstick to a baking sheet and broil until golden brown for about 3-5 minutes. Sprinkle with more cilantro and serve while warm.